Monday, May 4, 2015

Madrid on the Hilton Family Road Trip


Our main intended destination of this trip was Madrid.  We drove in on Saturday morning and parked near the Plaza Mayor.  We walked around for a bit before we got our bearings.  We made a stop at a Starbucks and then headed to the Palace.  Addie got a new necklace, and while we were waiting Jon and the boys walked over closer to the palace. 


Addie's necklace turned out great.


I promise Garrett was happy, he just doesn't like to smile right now.


While at the palace Jon realized something was going on.  There were a ton of people gathering outside the building.


It seemed like an important ceremony so we picked a spot and waited.


Ben decided he needed a little movement so he did some jumping jacks.


Here I am! Jon took the camera from me.


Back to Jon and the kids.


Then Malachi decided he n ended to do a little more moving, so we went for a walk.


I was ready to throw in the towel and move on, but Jon said we should wait just a few more minutes and then the troops started marching in.  The band was playing, people were laughing, it was very special.


Can you see the pick axes on the soldiers' backs? There are a couple of other very important people in this picture, we just didn't know who they were.


We left mid ceremony.  My pretty girl next to the pretty flowers.


After lunch and a nap in the car we were ready for more walking.  We made a quick stop at Dunkin' Coffee for an afternoon snack.


Malachi got a lot of smiles as we made our way down the sidewalk.


These guys got lots of smiles too, The Bike Bar  guys seemed like they were having a great time.  


We had been told El Prado had free entry for the last 2 hours of the day.  We made our way to the museum and I got in line.


The beginning of the line is all the way at the corner of the building in this picture.


This picture shows all of the people behind me, at least 30 minutes before the free ticket hours.  I had no idea that this many people would be willing to wait, but I guess it should come as no surprise.


I was so happy to get to visit this museum, unfortunately they do not allow any photos inside the museum.  




My sweet girl and I.


Madrid was not one of our favorite cities, but I am so thankful that I got to go.  It was definitely an experience worth having. 


No comments:

Post a Comment